Sunday, January 23, 2005

Napoleon Dynamite-A Review

My sisters had heard good things about this one from their friends, so my mom bought the movie yesterday and we all watched it last night.

My patented 100-word-or-less synopsis:

Wow. What can I say about this movie. It doesn't really have a tight-fitting plot. Basically, Napoleon is a major geek. He gets bullied. Then he meets a new Mexican student named Pedro. Later on, he meets a shy girl named Deb. The three become friends. Pedro and Napoleon have a hard time getting girls to go to the dance with them. At the dance, Pedro decides he is going to run for class president. In the end, Pedro becomes class president. Oh, there is also the fact that Napoleon's scam-artist uncle is ruining his life.


Well, this movie wasn't all that great. It wasn't too funny, but it made me laugh a few times. One of my favorite parts is: during Pedro's campaign for presidency, Napoleon sees a kid being bullied. To get his vote he says "Pedro offers you his protection." After school, the bully is trying to take the kid's bike when some tough-looking Mexicans in a really cool car with "Vote for Pedro" written on the side drive up, look at the bully and shake their heads, and the bully runs away. This movie gives you a few laughs, but I am not sure if it is worth the $20 it cost at Wal-Mart.

My rating: B, not bad, but not too good either.

Info:
Distributer: Fox Searchlight
Director: Jared Hess
Rating: PG for thematic elements and language
Production Time: a little over 3 weeks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home